LINKS PARENTING RESOURCES
There are licensing requirements for loads of occupations,
except the one which counts the most for our future: parenting. Even if there's no test, there is help.
Whether you're high tech or low tech, you're not alone. Start here. And don't forget to print out info for friends who are not on-line.
- Family Internet - Misc. info and activities. Lots of graphics may tax patience of slow connection users.
- Radical Parenting Page - Incredibly useful index includes child care, family leave, kids advocacy, public policy, discipline, feminist parenting, gay & lesbian parenting, fathering - you name it!
- NYCENET's Parenting Page - Links to must-reads on helping your child excel in various subjects, in developing skills, as well as nutrition and health tips, guiding kids use of the Internet, etc. Something good from the Board of Ed.
- Baby OnLine - Info on pregnancy, child care, baby products, etc.
- ParentSoup - From IVillage. A popular site.
NON-CYBER PLACES FOR PARENTS
- Check out the "parenting" section at your local library. And don't forget to bring home books for the kids. A new book is an incentive for kids to cooperate at bed time, and it's GOOD for them.
- Your pediatrician has referrals to support groups for different issues.
- The Parents League 115 East 82nd Street, NYC - (212) 737-7385 or e-mail. A non-profit clearinghouse for info on schools and enrichment
opportunuties. Private appointments available to members (annual fee $40) with a
school advisor re: choosing toddler groups, nursery schools, day schools, boarding
schools and more. Info workshops and publications.
- The Bank Street College Bookstore - Broadway & West 112 St., NYC - (212) 678-1654.
- Teachers College Bookstore - 1224 Amsterdam Ave. NYC - (212) 678-3920 or -3992
- Crafts on Broadway - Local, good stock for small store, but pricey. 2160 Broadway, NYC (212) 501-7320.
- AC Moore Crafts - Great stuff at great prices Several New Jersey locations.
If you come across a valuable location which presents new material not listed here,
please send us the URL with a brief description of the site. Or, if there's a unique place in the community
which parents can make use of, let us know the details. We'll post the information here.